Vocal folds transform an air flow into a voice, and larynx pushes it through vibrators and resonators. The power and quality of your voice depend heavily on how skillfully you control your chords, resonators, and larynx.
Your voice will sound better if you speak with your larynx down. The matter is, a high and closed larynx lets you release a little voice, while your down larynx gives you the enormously bigger one. Besides, your voice will get a sweeter tone, quiet confidence, and low tone color. Body language matters here, too.
What techniques and exercises can you try for making your voice more expressive?
Exercises for Expressive Voice
1) Part your lips, up your tongue root, and feel like your larynx goes down at this moment. Pronounce the “m-m-m-m” sound and check how your neck muscles writhe. Do you feel the sound in your front teeth and deeper? While doing this exercise, watch this sound resonating in your chest, head, and oblique abdominal muscles.
Form this sound in the center of your mouth cavity, making an ellipse between your open larynx and roof. Directing your voice to teeth, you’ll get ringing sounds.
2) Do your best to get the same “m-m-m” sound with your tongue root down. Prolong the sound and pronounce “MMum, MMaMMa, MoMM”.
3) Learn to open your larynx in four positions:
- with occluding teeth and lips,
- with occluding teeth and open lips,
- with a half-open mouth and pinched nose,
- with a half-open mouth only.
Don’t give up even if you failed first. Do the exercises on a regular basis to see the positive results.
Exercises for Clear Voice
Natural acoustic system aka resonators strengthens the power of voice. Different air chambers in your chest, nose, and head play the role of such resonators helping your voice sound clear.
1) Stand with your feet planted firmly, shoulder width apart. Double over with your head down and start doing wiggling movements with the upper part of your body, pronouncing the “m-m-m-m” sound and enhancing the range of wiggles gradually.
2) Stand straight and put your hand on chest. Yawn with your mouth closed and hold your larynx in down position. When breathing in, pronounce /o/ or /u/ sounds while tapping your chest. Try to pronounce these sounds in a drawling manner and with a very deep voice. You will feel a strong resonating in your chest.
3) Pronounce the following sound combinations, having control over the flutter effect on your lips, then in your mouth, and then - in the area of your chest, nose, and head resonators:
- mmmmA, - mmmmO, - mmmmE, - mmmmI, - mmmmU
- Ammmm, - Ommmm, -Emmmm, -Immmm, -Ummmm
- mmAmm, - mmOmm, mmEmm, mmImm, - mmUmm
4) Pronounce crack-jawed texts in loud whisper:
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck,
If a woodchuck could chuck wood?
He would chuck what a woodchuck could chuck,
If a woodchuck could chuck wood.
Something in a thirty-acre thermal thicket of thorns and thistles thumped and thundered threatening the three-D thoughts of Matthew the thug - although, theatrically, it was only the thirteen-thousand thistles and thorns through the underneath of his thigh that the thirty-year-old thug thought of that morning.
If Pickford’s packers packed a packet of crisps would the packet of crisps that Pickford’s packers packed survive for two and a half years?
Did Dick Pickens prick his pinkie pickling cheap cling peaches in an inch of Pinch or framing his famed French finch photos?
Conservatives write right copy, and have the right to copyright the right copy they write. A right wing cleric might write right rite, and have the right to copyright the right rite he has the right to write. His editor has the job of making the right rite copy right before the copyright would be right. Then it might be copy good copyright.
5) Clear your throat. Take a breath in and out, relax your neck muscles, and twang the /a/ sound with your head bent forward. Listen to how the sound changes, and you will see how your head posture influences your voice. Find your perfect sound and remember the posture. Pronounce the “a-a-a-a” sound in those four positions you used when learned to open your larynx.
It’s essential to control all body parts and mechanisms involved in the process of articulation. Try to achieve this with the help of above exercises, and apply these acquired skills to everyday communication.